curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog

The Girl Who Chased the Moon: A Novel

The Girl Who Chased the Moon - Sarah Addison Allen I didn't know anything about this book when I picked it from the stack... so glad I decided to get it and take a chance on it. I was craving something light and wonderful and this definitely hit the spot.

The town of Mullaby is a small, southeastern town full of polite charm and a little bit of magic. Sixteen year old Emily has been sent there to live with her grandfather after the death of her mother. Right away, she learns that her mother was not always a fine, upstanding citizen. Rather, she had quite the reputation.

Emily meets her grandfather, a giant of a man as harmless as a butterfly. He is shy, avoids people and crowds, has a hard time fitting in-- Emily knows how he feels. So does Julia, resident cake baker and owner of the local barbecue restaurant. Her return to Wallaby just a few short years prior dredged up a lot of old memories-- namely Sawyer, a boy she once loved and was torn from, with whom she shares a large secret.

And then there is the strangeness. The Mullaby Lights that only glow in the night, the "sweet sense" that Sawyer seems to have, the sparkle that follows Julia around.... there are a lot of mysteries in Mullaby, for such a quiet little town.