curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog

Detained

Detained - Ainslie Paton I really enjoyed this page-turner of story by Ainslie Patton! I heard about her book on twitter, read a few blogs about it, it seemed interesting so I snapped it up.

I should say, first off, that I wasn't overly impressed with our hero Will. He's sneaky and standoffish, really underhanded and uses his passion and money to distract Darcy. Time and time again, she is screwed over, thrown under the bus, pushed away. Time and time again, she comes back for more.

She is persistent, I must say that for her. It must be some rule that heroines in romance novels have to dig in their heels and fight for their man, even when he's being an absolute boor and only concerned for himself, his reputation and his money.

I don't want to spoil this story (to which there are so many twists, turns, and levels, including a kidnapping, a prison riot and solving an old murder case) so I won't go to deeply. I will say that this story has a sufficiently satisfying ending (if you like that sort of thing) that really seems kind of pat and 'well isn't that nice?' but it'll do. I find endings particularly difficult and sometimes my opinion of an entire book depends on how it ends.

I typically am annoyingly ethnocentric about novels, in which I like them set in the US, so having part of this story set in Shanghai and Australia was a little uncomfortable, but the story was enough to overcome. An enjoyable read, made for a great way to spend a Saturday evening!

I'd probably pick up another Ainslie Patton novel.