curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter: A Novel

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter - Tom Franklin This book was FANTASTIC. A real page turner, a mystery like none other with a great human interest and race relations undercurrent. I guess I have to admit that these are my favorite kinds of books, ones that detail the struggle between choosing what you've always been taught and forging your own ideas about things and going your own way.

After the disappointment of the last book I read, I was craving something gripping, not the same old story told in the same old way. I picked this book out off of some list and from Page 1 it had me.

I don't think there was one underdeveloped character, not one useless name, not one wasted sentence. Even the stories Carl told served a purpose. Every person played a part in this story from Larry to Voncelle to Angie. I also love when a writer can make me almost hear the dialog in my head, like I'm watching the movie.

I sort of felt sorry for "Scary Larry". Poor, weird little kid.

Well written, I really enjoyed it. I rarely give a book 5 stars, and I was tempted, but I decided that things didn't conclude as messy as I'd imagine they would, had this happened in real life. It was real... "pat". I dislike pat. It's like happy endings... do they really exist?

Other than that, LOVED IT.