curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog
SPOILER ALERT!

Slow Surrender (Struck by Lightning)

Slow Surrender - Cecilia Tan I received a copy of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I always try to wait at least a day after reading a book so I can think about the points I want to bring out. This book seemed like an easy read, a guilty pleasure, in which I like to indulge from time to time.
Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. The start was a bit slow, and I had a hard time really connecting with the main character. Once she met the mysterious stranger, I was intrigued. He was so mysterious as to be on JUST THIS SIDE of frustrating-- this also kept me reading. The MC.... did not.
Karina (or Ashley or whatever name she bounces back and forth between over the course of this book) did not read 26 to me. She read about 20. I was surprised that she was standing for her PhD defense because she is written very young, and not the kind of woman that a wealthy man would want to play with... and maybe that was the point, but it didn't come across to me. Sometimes her dialog was, like, you know, so teenagerish, and sometimes it was like a different person was writing her dialog.
It is absolutely steamy, sexy, fun, erotic. Lots of different ways to play and this book explores them.
A warning to readers, this book ends in a cliffhanger. And I am told the next book does not release until January. This, future authors of America, is abhorrent. DON'T DO THIS. By the time January rolls around, I will not care about this book, the sequel or the author. Cliffhangers work great when there's only seven days to wait. AN entire half year, with only half the story told, no ends tied up, and the characters mid arc? Not at all a fan.
And that's my honest opinion.