curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog

The Road from Gap Creek: A Novel

The Road from Gap Creek: A Novel (Shannon Ravenel) - Robert Morgan Road from Gap Creek is the followup novel to Gap Creek by the same author. I did not read the previous novel. Though I felt like I was missing some of the story, this novel is a stand-alone story.

This novel felt, to me, like a mesh of The Grapes of Wrath and Little House on the Prairie/On the Banks of Plum Creek. I'm not really sure why, perhaps it is the Depression Era timespace and the setting of a family farm on the banks of a river.

Another reviewer described this as a gentle read. I have to agree. We learn about the Richards family through the eyes of Annie, from childhood through adulthood, though not particularly in that order. We first learn the fate of Troy, who volunteered to serve his country in the army, then Annie goes backwards in time, from when the family left Gap Creek and pulls us forward. It's definitely a story that the reader has to allow to be told. Can't force it out or gloss over details-- they're all pertinent to a story when the story is about life and hard times.

There was quite a bit of jumping around, a few stories where I thought, I have no idea what this has to do with anything, but overall it was a calm and enjoyable read. I enjoy historical fiction and this novel was a surprising pleasure to read. I might pick up Gap Creek now.