curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog

White Sugar, Brown Sugar

White Sugar, Brown Sugar - E.G. Tripp,  Michael A.  Pyle I was furnished a copy of this book from NetGalley.

So, I have this habit of picking books based on the cover and a few lines of description. I don't want to know too much... I don't want anyone's preconceived notions to infiltrate my thoughts and personal feelings about the story.

I'm always down for a book about racial discord and/or harmony, southern literature and stories about two people who have overcome what should tear them apart to come together. I thought this book was about a black boy and a white boy who defy odds and social opinion to become friends.

Imagine my surprise when I am enthralled by the vivid portrayal of two boys living a lower class existence in a broken home. Both descend into a world of using acid, heroin, weed (reefer) and alcohol. Both are arrested several times and have several opportunities to get their lives together.

Roosevelt has watched his mother battle her drug demons of and on his whole life. Jude rebels against the straight and narrow path that his stuffy father wants him to follow.

White Sugar (pure crystaline, injectible heroin) Brown Sugar (base heroin for smoking) is graphic and real in telling it's story. I reached a point where I couldn't put it down. I needed to know how things worked out for Roosevelt and Judah.

I think endings in particular are difficult... I've read very few really satisfying endings and this ending isn't one of them. It wasn't terrible, just a bit cliche. Not unhappy at all... it read like a good episode of Intervention.

E.G. Tripp does a great job developing his characters and bringing them forward on the page. Settings are vivid, the story is easy to follow. It does get a little preachy, but that tends to happen in books about addiction and a recovery.

Overall a gripping, enjoyable read but not the deep southern drama I was really looking for.