curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog

Getting Rowdy (Love Undercover, #3)

Getting Rowdy (Love Undercover, #3) - Lori Foster *spoilers*

Rowdy Yates is your typical grouchy, big-as-a-bear curmudgeon with a heart of gold that he doesn't want you to see. Avery is your run of the mill spitfire redhead who runs her own life and doesn't like to be told. Mix the two and you get your standard 'two strong people that butt heads but are actually perfect for each other, go through a dramatic situation together and come out of it in love.

I found out about this book via Facebook, ran directly to NetGalley and requested it. When I was approved, I was excited to read it. The story begins by telling us what kind of man Rowdy Yates is... a user of women, a man who likes a one night stand or a quick tryst. Not a man who's looking to fall in love or settle down... but he IS interested in Avery Mullins.

Avery, then, seems pretty okay with the fact that Rowdy basically just wants to sleep with her. Knowing this, she lets him into her life, involves him in her sordid past and lets herself fall in love with him. Because, yeah she would be totally fine if Rowdy decided that he wanted to ditch her after she gave herself to him. She wants him, and she lets him know. I suppose she is a modern woman.

Avery is being stalked by a dangerous man from her past. He hangs around the bar, makes prank calls and tries to trap her when she's alone-- which is why Rowdy goes all 'Protective Man The Size of a Bear' and doesn't let her out of his sight.

Lori Foster weaves a nice tale of romantic suspense. I was a bit distracted by the high amount of inner dialogue and 'explanations' of thoughts and feelings and meanings. And my usual issue with romance is how quickly the relationship progresses. Avery and Rowdy spend what, a week together, tops? She loves him and he loves her and he asks her to marry him and he's this big mushy bear of a man all of a sudden and everything's hunky dory all at once.

I also didn't know that this was book 3 in a series, and I kept getting the feeling that I was missing out on some information and back story.

I'll read the next book, but only if we can know what's up with Cannon, another lovable muscle bound tough guy, because he sounds like a guy that needs romance.