curvyjones

Books and the Readers who read them

Book blog

Hush Little Baby

Hush Little Baby - Suzanne Redfearn First of all, HOLY CRAP, this book was good. I feel like I say this a lot, but it really is rare for me to pick up a book and read it all the way through. I started reading this late Friday (10/4) and finished it Saturday 10/5. Talk about an engrossing page turner!

Without rehashing the entire story, Jillian Kane is stuck in what appears to be a happy marriage but behind closed doors is a nightmare. Her husband is abusive to her-- cruel, mean and violent. His punishments for the children aren't physical, but mental. To everyone, he's a great dad and doting husband. To Jillian, he's a monster.
When she decides she has to leave, there isn't a question that she has to take the children. Gordon won't hear of it, and Jillian knows that he will kill her before he lets her have them.
An interesting aspect of this book is how beat-down Jillian is... she doesn't even think she can save her children. She doesn't think she is a good mother. She feels she's a consistent failure and hasn't nurtured relationships with Addie and Drew. She knows Gordon is the better parent, more patient, more loving.
Because this is what Gordon wants her to think. He wants her to feel that if she runs, she has nothing.
Thus begins a heart thumping, fast-paced tale of a woman who would do anything to protect her children, and in the process, proves she's the best gift those children ever had.
I mentioned a few times that reading this book about gave me a heart attack. Take that as a hint as to the rythm and heightened sensitivities and utter alarm in the Redfearn's words. I was living this book while I was reading it and was exhausted when I'd read the last word.
Really wonderful novel-- very well written, high marks from me!